I am frequently asked about modeling. I am no expert in that business, but do have experience working with models. I have helped building many modeling portfolios, provided some direction and even occasionally hire models for both personal and commercial projects. I have worked with models from beginners to established models represented by the Ford Agency.
My initial advice for anyone contemplating modeling as a hobby or career:
- Modeling “schools” are a waste of money.
- Real agencies don’t charge fees to represent you… they get paid only when you work in the form of commission from your compensation.
- The best portfolios contain variety, so when building your portfolio work with more than one photographer. There are professionals who occasionally help out beginners by trading their services for yours and providing some images in trade. There are also amateur photographers who need models to help them learn. That said, you often get what you pay for, so if you don’t get the best portfolio by trading, be ready to pay a professional.
- Use common sense and beware of scams, fraudsters, hucksters and creeps… and there is also what’s known as the “guy with camera” or GWC.
- Your safety is of absolute importance. Check references from other models. Unfortunately there are a few creeps out there posing as photographers. Don’t be afraid to check the sexual predator registrations.
My trade time is currently very limited due to client demands. However I do try to do at least one trade session per month.
Of course I am available for hire to help build or expand your modeling portfolio. A simple headshot session is $150 and includes one edited hi-res file and the license to use that image for any promotional purpose. Portfolio builder sessions start at $400 for 2 hours and includes digital negatives of the artist’s selected images. MUA and hair are HIGHLY recommended and can be arranged. I can also provide headshot prints, comp cards and business cards.
Here are some good resources for those who are interested in modeling.
It’s my birthday and you get a present! If you’ve been holding off buying prints, now is the time to do it!
Head over to my client web site and take 49% off of any order over $49 with the discount code bday49 … the offer expires tomorrow at midnight.
This week we’re featuring the many faces of Jake!
As my daughter is learning dance, I become amazed at how much athleticism is required. Being around dancers has exposed me to dancing on point … which is apparently a quite painful experience.
We’re excited about our fundraiser for the Tullahoma elementary schools coming up during spring break. We’ll be doing 15 minute portrait sessions and 10% of all purchases will go back to the schools.
I wonder which school will get the most students in for this event… Bel Aire, East Lincoln, Farrar or Robert E. Lee.
Of course we’re not limiting this to elementary kids only. Kids of all ages are welcome. So schedule your appointment now!
Several high school seniors and their parents have contacted me recently because they were not satisfied with the formal portrait done by the school’s contract photographer. We recently created a formal portrait for Tullahoma senior Jordan Sheffield. Here are the three that I like the best.
Catherine Murray and her crew for her Michael Jackson tribute coming up at South Jackson Civic Center.
Introducing new specialty items for the Tullahoma Band. Click on the image to shop in the Carden Photography online store.
4×6 Sports Pass – includes black lanyard
Sports Water Bottle featuring a photo of your favorite band member.
Full color Dog Tag featuring your favorite band member.
Protect your iPhone 4 or iPhone 4s with this plastic case featuring a photo of your favorite band member.
Protect your iPhone 4 or 4s with this plastic case featuring the Tullahoma Band Logo.
Donna & Bud got married yesterday in Lynchburg, TN. They shared the day with a small group of family and friends. Here is one of my favorites from the day … captured at the Jack Daniels Distillery visitor center. Click on the image below to see more!
I have an art show this month at The Celtic Cup Coffee House. The theme is Shoes! The official opening is tomorrow evening. Come on out and join us and have a great cup of coffee… or a gelato … or whatever you’d like from their menu.
The Celtic Cup is located at 106 North Anderson in Tullahoma, TN.