I am frequently asked about modeling. I am no expert in that business, but do have experience working with models. I have helped building many modeling portfolios, provided some direction and even occasionally hire models for both personal and commercial projects. I have worked with models from beginners to established models represented by the Ford Agency.
My initial advice for anyone contemplating modeling as a hobby or career:
- Modeling “schools” are a waste of money.
- Real agencies don’t charge fees to represent you… they get paid only when you work in the form of commission from your compensation.
- The best portfolios contain variety, so when building your portfolio work with more than one photographer. There are professionals who occasionally help out beginners by trading their services for yours and providing some images in trade. There are also amateur photographers who need models to help them learn. That said, you often get what you pay for, so if you don’t get the best portfolio by trading, be ready to pay a professional.
- Use common sense and beware of scams, fraudsters, hucksters and creeps… and there is also what’s known as the “guy with camera” or GWC.
- Your safety is of absolute importance. Check references from other models. Unfortunately there are a few creeps out there posing as photographers. Don’t be afraid to check the sexual predator registrations.
My trade time is currently very limited due to client demands. However I do try to do at least one trade session per month.
Of course I am available for hire to help build or expand your modeling portfolio. A simple headshot session is $150 and includes one edited hi-res file and the license to use that image for any promotional purpose. Portfolio builder sessions start at $400 for 2 hours and includes digital negatives of the artist’s selected images. MUA and hair are HIGHLY recommended and can be arranged. I can also provide headshot prints, comp cards and business cards.
Here are some good resources for those who are interested in modeling.